Free School Meals
Universal Free School Meals
Pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 now qualify automatically for free school meals. However, it is important that low income parents (see criteria below) still complete the application for Early Years Pupil Premium. Pupil Premium is used to fund educational interventions for the students of low income families. Please send completed forms (click here for form) to the school office. Please see our policies page to view our Pupil Premium and Free School Meals policy.
Free School Meals (Criteria taken from www.gov.uk website)
If your child is in year 3 and above and you fulfil any of the categories below, your child will qualify for free school meals. Please complete the Free School Meal Application form. Completed forms should be sent to the school office. It is generally sufficient just to complete the first page of the form.
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child may also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school
- in full-time education
If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022.
Infant free school meals in England
Your child will be able to get free school meals if they’re in a government-funded school and in:
- reception class
- year 1
- year 2
Tell your local authority if you also get any of the qualifying benefits. Your child’s school can get extra funding if you do.